Beginner’s Night resumes on May 3 at 6:30 pm. In keeping with the St. Louis County Covid regulations, we must limit our capacity to 5 individuals. Please reserve your place by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling 314-669-4465. Thank you.
If you’re new to Zen practice, or new to CZC, you are very welcome at our center, and there are some easy ways to get started. Consider joining us for our Beginner’s Night held (typically) on the first Monday evening of each month. Beginner’s Night is designed for those who are interested in zazen meditation but have no previous experience. It offers instruction on how to sit and basic zendo (meditation space) protocol.
* Please note there will be no Beginner’s Nights in September and December.
Here’s what to expect on Beginner’s Night:
6:30-7:00 pm – Introduction to the Zendo protocol and how to sit zazen
7:00-7:20 pm – Zazen meditation
7:20-7:25 pm – Kinhin (walking meditation)
7:25-7:40 pm – Zazen meditation
7:40 pm – We will read the Song of Zazen
7:45pm – Time for Q&A
End at approximately 8:00 pm
What to Wear and Other Etiquette for Zazen Meditation at CZC-STL:
1. It’s best to wear comfortable, modest clothing which does not bind the legs, and which extends beyond the knees (no shorts, please), and which covers the shoulders. It is also recommended that you wear muted colors or dark tones, and avoid wearing visible logos or graphics as might appear on a t-shirt.
2. Please do not wear hats or gloves in the zendo.
3. Please be sensitive those with chemical allergies by not wearing scented lotions, perfume, or other fragrances.
4. Remove noisy jewelry, disarm watch-timers, and put cell phones on mute before entering the zendo.
Feel free to call or e-mail to sign up for a Beginner’s night.
Phone number is (314) 669-4465 or e-mail us.